Saturday, June 30, 2007

Tappin the Rockies

Colorado finally! This is one state that I’ll be sure to get the most out of before I leave. Not that Kansas was bad but the terrain here has already proven to be far more beautiful. I can see the mountains far off in the distance and I’m giddy in my cycling shorts to get up close and personal with them. I get to add a coyote to my extensive list of road-kill encountered. It looked like a dog at first, but once you check out its teeth, you know its one vicious mammal. Of course it did look far more docile with its innards strewn about the highway.
Anyways, we had the opportunity to stay with a very kind lady named Gillian who went about a mile a minute but seemed to go out of her way to make sure we were comfortable or had everything we needed. Pink mullet aside, she worked as a prison guard in Ordway, CO and was a joy to chat with.
The other day I made a wrong turn going out of town (constant state of delirium I guess) and ended up facing headwinds for about 12 miles in the wrong direction. It wasn’t until then that I noticed my mistake and turned around to head back to Scott City, only to find oddly enough, more headwinds. But all in all, I made the best of my first 130 mile day and headed into town just as the sun was setting over the grain elevators. The only downside was that upon my arrival to camp, Rob said we had to knock out a 120 mile day in the morning. So I’m finally here in Pueblo, CO and the city is amazing. My bike is all tuned up and after about 650 miles in a week, I’m more than ready for a day off and a shower. It looks like it’s about to pour now so I’d better head to the hotel.
Much love.

3 comments:

Janet Covington said...

Jacob-Your mom gave me your blog info and I have loved reading it today. I'm so pleased you are having such a wonderful experience. I'm stunned that you are already in CO. Time sure flies (unless you are peddling the wrong way in a headwind). I can't wait to see your next posting. Take care.----Janet

Mike said...

Jacob,
Hope you had a good 4th some where in CO. I went sailing so you know I had a good one. Mom has a had a few rough days but is looking better this morning and planning to go to work. Pedal hard, enjoy the adventure and be safe. Don't wait so long to update your blog.
Love Dad

Mom said...

That Rob is a slave driver...

MommaClites