Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Can Smell the Ocean

Hey everybody sorry for the lack of posts. We've been really cranking and I haven't really had the time to sit at a computer and collect my thoughts. So we're in Sisters, Oregon and we only have about a week left before we hit the coast. Things are getting really exciting and we're all getting a little bit antsy to get there. We stayed in Bend last night which was a really incredible town. Rob is thinking about living there and now I can see why. We had to do a tour of all the breweries in town which numbered many and included "Dechutes."
My birthday seems like it was forever ago, but we spent a great deal of time in Yellowstone park. I saw Old faithful, grand prismal springs, painted mud pots and almost had a run in with a bear. Well I thought it was a bear. It growled at me for sure but I took off running - too fast to even see. Idaho was a gorgeous state with many gorges. We pedaled down by the Payette river and met lots of paddlers who were kind enough to offer us some PBR and snacks. We also got the chance to hit up some more hot springs. Very crowded however but still a nice treat. It was great to be able to go so long without a real shower. About a week and a half through the entire state of Idaho and parts of Oregon.
We've met some great people including Wiley at Red Fish Lake, Donnie and Zack at Spuds n Suds, and a real cool cat named Andy in Bend. Wiley's quite the character but with loads of info about his travels and how to live life like a real man on a Bimmer. Thanks for the dinner and the phone message Wiley! Oregon has proved to be a really nice state but incredibly hot on some days that we have to climb multiple passes. They haven't been too bad but they're really starting to wear on my wits.
But we'll' reach the ocean soon enough and then I'll get to check out highway 101 for a couple of days up to Astoria. From there Rob and I will be making our best efforts at bumming around Portland until our flight leaves on the 12th. I think we'll manage. I hope everyone is doing well and I look forward to seeing you all upon my return home.

1 comment:

Rurik Halaby said...

Jacob: My wife Cynthia and I ran into you at Chuck's Diner in Prairie City, OR. I took your picture with Chuck, the owner, and his granddaughter. Well, I sent the photo to the Blue Mountain Eagle, the county newspaper and it was published. http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=21&PhotoID=2225&UID=492236
Congratulations on what you have been abe to accomplish.
Rurik Halaby