Thursday, July 12, 2007

Headwinds and Grizzly Bears

Wyoming has proved to be a very windy state as I had just flown down into the valley and was met with winds comparable to those on top of Grandfather Mtn. I could see the horizon about 20 miles away and I was cranking incredibly hard on completely flat terrain to push 5-7 mph. Not to mention a storm was blowing in directly overhead but I also encountered some Eastbounders who boasted an average 28 mph speed with the wind. I wanted to strangle them. But upon arrival at a gas station in Muddy Gap, WY, I couldn't find Rob or Rich anywhere and decided I would ask the folks at the trailer adjacent to the gas station. It turns out that they were in there with Rory and were being catered to by a nice Mormon family who cooked us lasagna, garlic bread, eggs, and milk and cookies. They were really interested in our travels and loved to listen to our stories as well as give us their own. Rob got the responsibility of reading a couple books to the youngest of the 6 children. It turned out to be a really fantastic evening complete with showers.
We had the opportunity to soak in some hot suplhur springs in two different towns that made my skin stink for a couple days but it felt fantastic. It was a much need break from the sore muscles brought on by harsh Wyoming terrain.
We met back up with our compadres Mike and Dillon and made it into one of the most beautiful parts of our country thus far, the Grand Teton National Park. We camped right under these incredible mountains and took a semi-bath in Jenny Lake right at the base. The whole time I couldn't help but wishing I was on the top of the world looking down on the valley. That night, I had awoken to the sound of a bear rattling the junk out of a bear box that stored all of our gear and food. For the rest of the night I could hear footsteps all around my tent and a heavy breathing that gave me the shivers. I will be sure to not bathe and smell like soap for the remainder of my stay in the Teton and Yellowstone National parks. I spoke with an older gentleman who told me that there had a been a Grizzly that set up camp in the area we stayed in and that the wildlife authorities were having trouble locating it and removing it. So chances are that he was the one causing my cold sweats that night.
It was sad however that the next morning we had to say goodbye to our dear friend Rory O'Callahan as he took off north into Yellowstone and then to Montana while we went south into Jackson Hole where I am currently. This town is fantastic but very touristy. There are hundreds of stores and a really cool downtown area. Tonight we're going to see a reenactment of an old time shootout in the middle of town. Cant wait. I hope this finds everyone doing well and I'll try to post some pictures when I have an opportunity at a computer w/o time limits. Adios

3 comments:

Mike said...

At last a post! I just can't imagine how tough the peddeling is in those winds-but I am sure it will make you stronger. Mom had her 4th treatment yesterday and Diane and Robbin are here for a few days to help her out. Adrienne has found her a condo she wants to buy. We go with grandma to Ennis reunion Sunday-she said you will show up there at the last minute, ha ha I told her not to count on it-she sends her love. Soak it up-we love you and miss you. Dad

Janet Covington said...

First, happy birthday in a few days. Don't party too hard--you have mountains to climb!
I'm still amazed that you are so far along in the journey. Time seems to fly by. Peddle safe.--Janet

Mom said...

Your bear story reminds me of the time we drove into camp and Troy (who was like 10 at the time) saw his first bear. Needless to say I spent the night sleeping with him inside the van we had rented. He was that scared.
I wonder what he would do now.

Mom Clites